Shredded Chicken and Jellyfish Salad
For those of you that regularly follow this site, you might of wondered what happened to all that wonderful chicken, that was poached to make the Chicken Corn Soup, after all you can’t possible cook a whole chicken and just eat the breast meat? Well you’re quite right, following in from part of the recipe, my mother wouldn’t let me growing up waste such good food, so it was a matter of waste not want not, with the recipe of the week, being a slightly more unusual dish if you’re not used to South East Asian cuisine, shredded chicken and jelly fish salad. Normally jelly fish alone, is fairly neutral in taste, it does however have quite a interesting crunchy texture to it, so a little sesame seed oil and seasoning can go a long way, for this light and tasty salad. As it’s a salad, once you’ve shredded the chicken it’s quite quick to make and perfect as a Summer time dish. So without further ado, read, enjoy and cook.
– 2 chicken breasts
– 5cm stub of ginger, cut into 5mm slices
– 2 spring onion stalks, cut into 5cm pieces
– 250 grams of jellyfish
– Half a cucumber
– Chilli to taste
INGREDIENTS – DRESSING
– 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
– 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
– 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
– 2 teaspoons of sugar
– Sesame seeds
– Roasted peanuts
– Start by bring a pot of salted water to boil filled to where approximately an inch above the chicken breasts, and add the chicken breasts, ginger slices and spring onions.
– Allow to simmer for 15 minutes
– Once the chicken is cooked, quickly crash cool the chicken, by running under a running tap for 10 minutes then left to cool in a pot of cold water, it should leave the chicken just cooked and tender.
– Shred the chicken breasts into a bowl.
– Once the chicken is shredded, add the jellyfish.
– Julienne the carrots
– Julienne the cucumber
– Clean the outer layer of the ginger with the back of a spoon and mince the ginger
– Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
– Add the jellyfish, chicken and the rest of the ingredients.
– Toast the sesame seeds and roasted peanuts
– Layer a bowl, with lettuce leaves and then toss everything together with the dressing.
And there you have it, with the lettuce, peanuts and jelly fish, you’ve got a salad with some really interesting textures and flavours to enjoy.
You can serve it with other dishes or even as itself as lettuce wraps.